by Jessica Porter
Ah, January. A new year and a fresh start so full of possibilities! It's that time of the year for resolutions, goal-setting and all around plan-making. To help you start 2014 off right we're sharing with you some of our favorite things this month. We've got ways to help you stick to your New Year's resolutions, ways to keep warm in the cold and more fun things that will make this month one to remember all year long!
1. The 12 Week Year by Brian P. Moran This book reinvents how you work. Most of us work and think with an annual mindset. But twelve months is a long stretch of time, and it's easy for goals to be forgotten or missed. In this book Moran helps you think in a 12 week mindset where you just don't have time to get complacent. This is a great book for businesses, but it’s beneficial for anyone desiring to be more productive.
2. Flipboard Application We love discovering new apps that make life on-the-go easier. Flipboard is like having a magazine designed with everything you find interesting. From breaking news to what's trending on Twitter, this app keeps you current with what's happening in the world.
3. New Year Blessing Jar It's a new year full of new memories just waiting to be made! I saw this Blessing Jar idea on Pinterest and thought it was a wonderful way to record the year. It's super easy too. Whenever something memorable happens (an accomplished goal, you meet someone new, something hilarious happens, etc.) write it down and toss the paper in the jar. Keep filling the jar with memories all year and on December 31st, read all the amazing things that happened to you! How cool is that?
4. Wood Crafts and the Great Commission (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) We are IN LOVE with these beautiful wood crafts made by our wonderful intern, Allee. She started this project in order to raise support for her upcoming missions trip to Africa in 2014. If you're looking to add a personal (and oh-so-woodsy) touch to your home for just $20-$25, check these out. We love Africa, we love Allee, and we love her wood crafts! To get your own and help Allee raise support, email her at email@example.com.
5. ThinkThin bars Since January is a time to get back to healthier living, we just had to add a tasty snack that's guilt-free. ThinkThin bars are packed full of protein (typically 20g…whoa), have 0g of sugar, are gluten free, and so delish! There are many flavors, but I am personally drawn to "Chocolate Covered Strawberry" and "Brownie Crunch." If you're looking for a healthy snack to add to your New Year's resolution diet, this might be the one for you.
6. Market Colors Tassel Keychain One of our newest products may be small, but it can help you out in a huge way. I can't tell you how many times a day I thought I've lost my keys but, alas, they were buried beneath random objects at the bottom of my purse. Once I added a Market Colors Tassel Keychain to my key ring, that problem was solved! The bright blue color is easy to see and the tassel makes for easy access when rummaging through a bag. Not to mention, they're absolutely adorable.
7. Lizzie's Favorite Chili Thanks to the Polar Vortex, January has been exceptionally cold this year. What a perfect excuse to make some delicious and toasty warm chili! This recipe is a favorite of our very own Market Colors founder, Lizzie! She says, "My only change to the recipe is to add some tomato juice until you get the consistency you like. I make this chili all year ‘round, but it’s especially wonderful on cold winter days."